Agent Tricia Skinner was raised in Detroit, Michigan. She obtained her undergraduate degree from the nationally acclaimed Journalism Institute for Media Diversity at Wayne State University and earned her graduate degree from Southern Methodist University. Professionally, she began her writing career as a newspaper reporter and wrote for The Detroit News, Investor’s Business Daily, MSN, and The Houston Chronicle. She’s covered small & minority business, personal finance, and technology.
Tricia has 20 years of experience working with the video game industry in various roles, including public relations, industry relations, and writing/editing. She is also a hybrid author of passionate urban fantasy (represented by Fuse co-founder Laurie McLean).
Diversity in genre fiction is dear to Tricia’s heart. As an agent, Tricia wants to represent authors who reflect diversity and cultures in their work. She specializes in Adult, Young Adult and Middle Grade. On the personal side, Tricia has a Tom Hiddleston obsession and she is definitely Team Vader. Her family includes three Great Danes (so far).
Wish List & Submissions Info (NEW ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM!!!)
(updated May 22, 2017)
#OwnVoices authors are strongly encouraged to query their work. I only want to see manuscripts that are new, unpublished, and completed. Please send your 300-word-or-less query letter followed by the first 20 pages (no prologues). Use the form on this page to submit queries: http://QueryMe.Online/querytricia .
My response time takes up to 16 weeks. Unfortunately, the volume of queries I get means most writers will not receive personal feedback, but every query that follows my submission guidelines will receive a response. Queries sent to my non-query email address, to my author website, or through any social media channel will be deleted.
Stories with romance or strong romantic elements are high on my wish list. I prefer stories with building sexual tension and believable attraction. I do consider stories without romance (but it’s not my favorite thing). I’m interested in Adult and Young Adult.
I WANT: Use the form on this page to submit queries: http://QueryMe.Online/querytricia .
- Fascinating urban legends or folklore (NOT the same old fairy tales, Shakespeare or Jane Austen stories)
- Dark/edgy modern fantasy/urban fantasy (extraordinary/fascinating creatures & world building!)
- Multicultural epic fantasy (diverse characters & setting, please)
- Horror (romantic elements a plus but not necessary)
- Futuristic (modern setting with lots of advanced tech/changes to society)
- Military or special ops romance (I prefer foreign spec-ops & Non-SEALS US spec ops)
- Supernatural (extraordinary creatures/world building)
- Historical “fantasy” (diverse characters and multicultural settings)
- LGBTQ protagonist in all of these subgenres & in primary role
- M/M Romance (especially in non-contemporary setting)
- Light science fiction (non-romance or minor romantic elements is fine)
I DO NOT WANT:
- Previously published or self-published work
- Romantic Suspense (I have enough in my TBR pile)
- Science fiction romance (where romance is the key element; I have enough in my TBR pile))
- Contemporary Thriller/Mystery
- Novellas (or ANY work less than 50,000 words)
- American Civil War-era
- Drug or alcohol fueled contemporary “dark/edgy” stories
- World War II (especially concentration camp romances)
- Romances set from 1900-1979
- Non-fiction of any kind
- Women’s fiction or Literary fiction
- Short stories of any kind
- Picture/Chapter books